Wednesday, August 2

The Warm Up

Saturday morning’s the morning of the big race. I’ve been on the bike almost a month (and I’m yet to clean and lube the chain--kill me) and now it’s time to see how I’m doing so yesterday afternoon I registered for one of the Kissena Racing Club races held in Prospect Park, Brooklyn taking place Saturday morning at 6:30 in the AM.

I have no idea what to expect. I’m planning on simply showing up, getting my number, and seeing if I can keep up with the other Category 5 riders. If I get dropped (which I probably will), I’ll know that I need to ride a lot harder than I have been the past four weeks. If I don’t get dropped (which I probably won’t), I’ll work harder any way in the hopes of improving my ranking week to week.

That’s it, really. After the race, which is only 17 miles, I’ll probably do a few more laps to get the total mileage up to around 30 or so. I’ll know exactly how far I’ve ridden for the day as I ordered a cycling computer online this past Monday. Figured it was time as I want to keep better track of how long I spend on the bike per ride, my average speed, and cadence. Yes, I bought a model with cadence, although it’s not wireless so it only set me back a few pennies under $30. I also invested in a red taillight for those evenings when I know I’ll be out and about well after the sun sets and the street lights kick on. For $8, how can a guy go wrong?

Otherwise, I’ll remove my saddle bag just before the race along with the hand pump I have mounted to the frame because now that I’m such a serious racer, I need to drop as much unnecessary weight as possible.

Mr. Picco--your gift arrived in the mail while I was out of town. In the event we run into each other Saturday morning and I actually remember to bring it--along with Lance Armstrong’s Every Second Counts--I’ll hand it off to you then.

No comments: