Tuesday, July 25

Stephen Donaldson stars in Falling Down

While riding my bike yesterday evening, I tipped over in the street--again. God almighty, it’s so horrendously embarrassing to come to a complete stop and simply fall over in the middle of a crowded intersection in one of the biggest cities in the world.

As per my previous installment, I spent the second half of Sunday riding on normal pedals. Later that night, I swapped the flat pedals for the fancy racing pedals in preparation of riding Monday night, although I’m assuming my feet became a bit too acquainted with the normal peddles considering I tipped over on the corner of 3rd Avenue and 79th Street, less than two blocks from my apartment on 2nd and 78th.

And when I say it was crowded, we’re talking during rush hour at 6:30 in the evening. There were people everywhere. Such a crushing blow to the aspiring ego.

Of course, like anyone would have, I tried to be the funny guy as I quickly rose to my feet. A middle-aged man in a suit looked as though he was ready to ask if I was all right when I practically yelled, “Does more damage to the ego than anything else. That's terrible, huh?”

I couldn’t wait for that freaking light to change. As soon as it changed from red to green, I stomped on those pedals and put as much distance between the scene of the stupidity and myself as possible.

Then I had a fantastic 12-mile ride in Central Park where I absolutely tore up the road and managed to keep it on two wheels. How nice.

No comments: