Thursday, February 22

Movin' On Up

So this is it. Two more nights in Brooklyn and then I’m gone, up to Westchester. Pleasantville, to be exact, and somehow, in my head, I’ve got it stuck that this was a good idea, but if you asked me, “How much do you really know about Westchester?” I’d have to answer, “Not much, to be honest with you.”

See, I’m assuming the roads will be both quieter and nicer than what we have on Richmond Terrace, although I could be wrong. I’ve only been on two or three roads in Pleasantville and while those seemed fantastic, the rest of that specific town as well as the rest of Westchester may turn out to be a total nightmare. The possibility exists that every other drive may attempt to knock me clear off the road into the nearest ditch (no doubt Staten Island drivers would make similar attempts if we actually had ditches on Staten Island). The possibility exists that the hordes of living dead who stalk through the outskirts of Pleasantville randomly attack cyclists during the prime biking hours of 5 - 8 AM and 5 - 8:30 PM and within a few weeks time, I’ll join their ranks. And finally, the possibility exists that after moving to Pleasantville, I may frequent the town’s one bar and meet myself a nice middle-aged married woman with whom I can start a short yet lively affair. Why married? Married women go home at the end of the night.

Just kidding, although I have considered meeting and dating someone who’s terminally ill so there’s no chance of ever falling into a long-term relationship.

Just kidding, again.

Anyway, I’ve come to accept over the years that there exists some sort of invisible yet ridiculous magnet that occasionally draws me back to Staten Island. It kills me to admit that, but it’s true. I mention it considering the rest of the guys on this past Sunday’s group ride all seemed to cheer up the moment I mentioned I’d be moving fifty-five miles away. Sorry to break up the party, although considering (a) my family is on Staten Island, and (b) killer whales make friends faster than I do, I’m sure I’ll be back on the Island for a ride as soon as . . . this weekend?

No comments: