Tuesday, June 5

Horrible

Life just took a turn for the worst. While poking around on the Brooklyn Velo Force web site--the group that organized the TT at Floyd Bennett Field this past Sunday--looking for final times, I found a bunch of pictures from the race on VelocityNation.com.

Before I post this ridiculous picture of myself, let me say a few things.

Until thirty minutes ago, I had thought of myself as being in somewhat good shape. As you can see from the snapshot below and the way my stomach is pressing against my jersey, I was clearly wrong to think as much. So that needs to change. Starting now, the diet is changing.

Second, I thought that by riding with my hands in the drops, I would keep myself in a more aerodynamic position. Someone should have explained to me that it helps to bend the elbows and lower the head toward the handlebars. If only I had known. Actually, I did know, but never really felt too comfortable in such a leaned forward position, but I can tell you THAT'S going to change starting with my training ride tonight.

Third, while I'm not the biggest fan of paying attention to the slightest of aerodynamic details, I definitely need to do a better job of pinning numbers to the back of my jersey. For those of you who race, you'll realize that the numbers usually come with standard safety pins, so maybe someone can drop me some sort of secret hint on how to pin a number to the back of my jersey without it sounding like a parachute back there.

Finally, it looks as though I could benefit from raising the saddle a bit more. And I might also benefit from not making such stupid faces when I ride.

No comments: