Wednesday, June 25

We Might As Well Dope

I can tell you with 100% accuracy that the best way to get motivated to train on a bicycle is to enter a race and then get dropped. After my embarrassing debacle in the CRCA club race Saturday morning, I went for a laid-back ride on Sunday and then took Monday off, although apparently, Saturday is now stuck in my subconcious considering I did a few laps in Central Park last night and never once let my heart rate drop below 175. And I say the embarrassing debacle is stuck in my subconcious as I really didn’t roll into the park last night thinking I was going to go balls-against-the-wall for an hour. It just happened. After a five-minute warm-up, I just couldn’t bring myself to slow down. The plan was to crank through some intervals but instead I somehow turned the entire ride into one long interval.

Aside from trying to asphyxiate myself, I recently read a copy of Johan Bruyneel’s We Might As Well Win manifesto and I can tell you it’s an entire load of hardboiled shit. While Johan Bruyneel may be referred to as a “master” tactician, I have little doubt the man systematically dopes his riders so the book should have been titled We Might As Well Dope And Win.

No comments: