Saturday, October 18

Garmin 705 Product Review

This thing blows. That's as good as a review as you're going to get from me.

Set it up last night and went for a ride over the GWB this morning. Was very much looking forward to riding anywhere but 9W and that's exactly what my compadre and I did. For twenty miles, we took any turn we wanted and sailed along the side rides of central New Jersey.

After an hour-and-a-half of riding, we decided it was time to head back.

"All I have to do is hit GO HOME," I said, "and we should be in good shape."

(FYI, I had entered my home address earlier, so the computer knew where I needed to go.)

Ten minutes later, the Garmin had yet to calculate a way back. Luckily, I knew where we were, so we started toward 9W. After another ten minutes had passed, the goddam piece of crap still hadn't calculated a route home.

"Maybe I did something wrong," I said.

Nope. I did everything right. At home, I tried calculating a few different routes, but none of them worked. As a result, we're returning this piece of shit to J&R this afternoon.

It's disappointing, to say the least. Now I'm back to cue sheets. Last time I ever buy a Garmin.

No comments: