Friday, June 5

Back to Rockleigh

Went back to Rockleigh, NJ last night for the criterium. Thankfully, last night went much, much, MUCH better than it did last week. While I wasn't close enough to the front to know exactly where I finished, I think it might've been somewhere in the top 20 out of 50+ riders, so that was satisfying (as opposed to getting lapped by the same riders last week . . . god, that EPO really works).

And I checked the results that are listed online here, but they're wildly inaccurate. How do I know theyr'e inaccurate? The rider who's listed as having placed two spots ahead of me? Reginald Rasch? He's a terrific racer but I know for a fact that he finished behind me as he was pushed wide and off the road into the grass by some jackass in the second-to-last corner and, as a result, finished way behind me. So I don't know who the hell is doing the scoring on these things, but they might want to think about wiping the dirt from the video camera lens they have set up at the finish line.

As usual, though, I arrived much to early, so I grabbed this extremely exciting, utterly thrilling video clip of the 1/2/3 field whipping along the start/finish straight.



I mean, come on. Have you ever seen a more entertaining cycling video online?

To add to the overall excitement, I was reviewing the power meter file from last night's race. Typical criterium with the wattage all over the goddam place. You're either going full gas or soft-pedaling or braking into a corner. Un-freaking-believable.

(FYI, the yellow line represents watts.)

No comments: