Monday, April 2

A Kid On Christmas

Does anyone else suffer from impatience the way I do? I ask as, after speaking with a rep from Jamis bikes during the middle of last week, this same rep expressed the bike shop to which I’m having my brand-spanking new bikes shipped should have received them by today at the latest.

“We’re in Jersey,” the rep told me. This was last Thursday. “They’re going out today and if they don’t get them tomorrow, they should have them by Monday the latest.”

Go ahead and call me hopeful, but I dropped in the shop--Julio Bicycle in Chappaqua--on Saturday for two reasons. First, I needed more spokes after having broken two spokes on two separate rides last week. As a result, I can now change a spoke and true a wheel in under fifteen minutes. Second, I was under the crazy impression that perhaps I would walk in the shop and find my new Xenith Comp road bike and Dakar XCR Comp mountain bike sitting in the back of the shop waiting for me to take them home.

Of course, no such luck.

Either way, there are a few reasons why I’m having the bikes shipped to Julio’s. First, the place is only two miles from my place here in Pleasantville. Further, the guys who run the joint are extremely cool. I had called in advance to let them know to expect the bikes to arrive, but still, they’re yet to take delivery.

(I would have had them sent to Conrad’s, but Mr. Sang charges $150 to have a bike assembled upon delivery where Julio and his guys only charge $69, which is something of a no-brainer, isn’t it?)

Repeating the Jamis rep’s words in my head, I called Julio’s again this afternoon and talked to Willey. “I talked to Paulo on Saturday,” I said, explaining the situation.

“Let me talk to him and have him call you back,” Willey said.

Of course, Paulo didn’t call back, which I’m assuming means my new bikes still haven’t arrived.

If I don’t hear from Paulo or Willey by tomorrow, the rep at Jamis gets another call from yours truly to see what’s up. I would have to imagine that these shipments require signatures upon delivery, so the last thing I want to hear is that the bikes were shipped but no one knows where they are. Admittedly, my imagination often jumps to the worst possible scenario, and while I doubt that’s going to happen, I need to plan for such a scenario.

Chances are the bikes will show up some time this week and be ready for me by Friday or Saturday the latest. Further, do I need a brand-spanking new bike tonight considering my only plans are to ride the trainer in the basement? Not at all, although that’s not the point. The point is, when you spend a lot of money on something, something practical that you’re going to use, you want to use it right away, and for me, right away means three days ago. The fact that Jamis said the shop would have the bikes by today and they still don’t have them is doing nothing short of driving me up a frigging wall.

I’m sure you can understand, but then again, maybe you don’t. Maybe you’re the kind of rational, patient person I should be and, if you are, I take my hat off to you, kind sir.

At the end of the day, I just want my bikes. I paid for them and the fact that mail service takes a few days is completely regardless. I want ‘em and I want ‘em now.

No comments: