Wednesday, April 18

My Fantastic Ability of Deduction

So last night, I'm on the trainer, sort of just hoping I won't experience any false shifting. I had actually written to Jamis over the weekend regarding the issue and they were about as much help as the jackasses who work in R&A.

Regardless, after five minutes of riding, I started having the same issue as always when I realized it was doing what it was doing because I had mis-shifted, meaning I was the source of the problem. What happened was this: upon shifting into a lower gear while on the trainer, I started experiencing the false shifting. Staring down at the cassette, I fingered the shifter for a taller gear. When nothing happened (other than the false shifting to stop), I realized the rear derailleur had only been doing what I had been telling it to do.

Problem solved. Finally.

Also, I keep reading about this 5 Boro Bike Tour and the more I read about how crowded it becomes, the less I feel like dealing with thousands of other bikers (and you know most of them are going to be those angry, shit-kicking girls with the short haircuts, the extra rolls, the all-men-are-assholes attitudes, and those "One Less Car" t-shirts heavy with armpit sweat). I've also heard through the grapvine--the grapevine being those team cyclists who invariably . . . well, I'm not even going to get into it--that unless you sort of cheat by skipping the starting area and just jumping out onto the course, it basically takes forever to reach Staten Island (the final borough in the five borough ride).

With that said, is anyone planning on the all-day cycling festival? If so, what's the plan, Stan?

No comments: