Wednesday, April 4

Two Things

First, I got Paulo on the line today--Paulo from Julio Bicycle (and that’s not a typo--it’s not Julio’s Bicycle, it’s just Julio Bicycle without the ‘s). My bikes have arrived and they’re assembling them as we speak. If you’re at all wondering what the 2007 Jamis Xenith Comp looks like, check it out via the below link:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/xenithcompsl.html

Second, I caught an update on Velonews.com just before I left work this evening that Spanish authorities associated with Operacion Puerto have linked Jan Ullrich’s DNA to a few of the bags of blood and plasma found in Dr. Fuentes’s offices.

That’s huge. All this time, Ullrich’s been telling the press, “I’ve never cheated.” Clearly, Jan, you have been cheating. Of course, there’s the chance that whoever performed the DNA test did so incorrectly, although I’m sure whoever that person was double-checked prior to releasing such a statement.

And this isn’t a urine sample we’re discussing. My understanding is that the DNA tests are solid in that they leave a hell of a lot less room for error than standard drug tests.

At the same time, though, I think most sensible, rational fans are aware that when any of the top cyclists across the world make blanket statements such as, “I don’t dope,” or, “I’ve never doped,” they’re saying that simply because (a) they’d lose their jobs if they didn’t say it, (b) there’s a chance they may spend some time in prison if they didn’t say it, and (c) that’s just what cyclists do--deny, deny, deny. Actually, all doping athletes have a tendency to deny, but it seems to be these anemic-thin cyclists who do it the most. (With so much growth hormone in their veins, you think a few of them might develop a bicep or two.) It also seems like so many rabid cyclist fans are the first to bury their heads in the sand when it comes to doping. I say that as I’ve come across more than enough die-hard Armstrong fans online who have ripped me apart after suggesting Armstrong doped. I believe I made mention of this within a previous post, but I once put forth something to the effect of, “Considering Armstrong’s athleticism and fanatical training, is it possible he won seven tours naturally? Indeed, it is. Yet, is it likely? Not really.”

Once that hit the message boards, plenty of yokels had it in for me, which is why I say the cyclists fans all too often stick their heads in the sand and refuse to accept reason. If all the guys who openly embrace clean racing and who willingly provide whatever blood, urine, and DNA samples are required are the same guys who get spit out the back of the peloton the minute the Tour reaches the mountains, what does that say about guys like Floyd Landis, Jan Ullrich, Lance Armstrong, and Ivan Basso? Are they truly that gifted?

Probably not.

No comments: