Friday, July 21

Faster?

I can’t tell if I’m getting faster or not. Of course, I’d like to believe I’m riding better than I was two weeks ago after first buying the bike, although I’m just not too sure about that.

The easy way to solve this would mean investing in a cycling computer, although considering I’ve spent a few bucks these past two weeks on cycling clothing and accessories, I’m not ready to lay down the credit card for a computer. For whatever reason, I’ve got it in my head that I need a wireless computer with a cadence feature. Do I really need wireless? Not really? Do I really need to know my cadence? Is it that more important than simple speed and time? Probably not.

You know, now that I’m thinking about it, I should just go out and buy a basic wireless model without the freaking cadence. I mean, who the hell do I think I am that I need to know my cadence? All I really need to know is whether or not I’m turning faster laps in Central Park. Once I know that, I’ll realize if I should be increasing my cadence to increase my speed. How about that?!

Granted, I’m no trainer, but doesn’t it really come down to pedaling harder and/or faster for longer periods of time? Isn’t that how races are won?

Problem solved. No need for the cadence feature. I’ll stick with the basics. Better yet, perhaps I’ll simply pick up a sports watch so I can time the laps. Yeah, but the problem with that is I won’t get the average speed. If I can increase my average speed, I’ll get faster.

Maybe I’m thinking about this much too much. Maybe I’m spending too much money. Actually, I’m probably not spending too much money considering a vendor presented me with a $50 Amazon gift card on Monday, so I picked up a floor pump, insulated water bottle, spare tube, and three CO2 refill cartridges for $50.03 including shipping, all of which should arrive tomorrow. Not bad, right?

Now I’m thinking of buying a pair of cycling jerseys from pricepoint.com. They have a sale on their generic jerseys--two for $35, although I’m not sure if I should order the large or x-large sizes. According to the chart, a large should fit a chest size of 42-44, and I’m a 44. On the other hand, I don’t want to end up with a pair of jerseys that fit horribly and have to go through the hassle of exchanging them for a larger size.

I’m thinking I might stop in a local bike shop, try on a large jersey, and if it fits, place the order online. Or maybe I’ll just keep wearing athletic shirts as I have been. Nothing wrong with that.

Actually, the reason I began writing all of this had to do with my miserable speed. You know, I shouldn’t say it’s miserable, although compared to some of the guys who fly past me in the park, it’s definitely miserable. Hence, the need to train harder and eat better (no more Nathan’s hot dogs after a 15 mile ride). And to train harder, I want to make sure I’m actually pushing myself as hard as I should, hence the need for the cycling computer.

I need to get on that, more so than the jerseys. Much more so.

No comments: